ALL KINDS OF FAST
Optimizing wheels to perform with precision and control at the depth of the Zipp 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher Bicycle Wheel is pure engineering science. While the 808 Firecrest's aerodynamics and stability are proven every weekend in road races, triathlons and time trials around the world, understanding how profoundly good these wheels are only comes from riding the wheel that, as a set, has proven faster than any other.
Optimizing the revolutionary Firecrest aero-rim concept for an 82mm depth and the distinct airflow pattern of clincher tires required Zipp to evaluate a slew of minutely varied prototypes through CFD, or computational fluid dynamics, software and in the wind tunnel. At 27.5 mm wide, the final version is the fastest deep-section carbon clincher in the world. Yet, with a weight of only 1,885 grams per wheelset, it more than holds its own on the climbs.
With Firecrest's unparalleled approach to the wheel's center of pressure, the Zipp 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher Bicycle Wheel also handles crosswinds with the stability you'd normally associate with a much shallower rim - making the 808 Carbon Clincher ideal for non-disc-legal courses like Kona. Plus, the wide rim shape provides efficient power transfer along with comfort and durability, making it an excellent choice for just about any terrain and riding style.
- Firecrest - Firecrest more aerodynamic than any other rim design and it improves handling in crosswinds and overall ride quality.
- Carbon Clincher - This is the culmination of two years of intensive prototyping and testing. It is an exclusive heat-resistant resin based on the materials used in motorsports brake systems and it improves heat management so substantially that all Zipp Carbon Clinchers pass stringent CEN safety standards.
- ABLC™ (Aerodynamic Boundary Layer Control) - The patented and instantly recognizable dimpled pattern found on all Zipp carbon rims. ABLC smoothes airflow across the rim's surface and is tailored to every model. The third-generation of ABLC has up to four times more dimples than before.
- VCLC™ (Visco-Elastic Constrained Layer Control) - Vibration-absorbing material sandwiched between layers of rigid carbon laminate in the rim. When the wheel receives an impact from the road, much of the shock is absorbed by the VCLC system, delivering a 10% reduction in vibration.
- Wire EDM - Electron Discharge Machining allows Zipp to cut the materials for the rear hub drive internals after they've been hardened through heat treating, negating the warping and imprecision caused by the heat-treating process.
- Steel Bearings - Zipp is the only company specifying Swiss made highly specialized ball bearing cartridges. Zipp wheels feature a superior level of bearing smoothness and long life. Zipp ball bearings are specified to 10 millionths of an inch tolerance, guaranteeing that they are at least 2.5 times rounder and better matched than most company's "high precision" balls, and more than five times tighter than most "precision" balls.
- Includes Zipp's 177 hub, built with best-in-class durability and improved bearing protection with no pre-load adjustment needed. The result is improved stiffness, durability, simplicity and versatility
- Distinctive Matte White decal option
- Comes with Tangente Platinum Pro Evo brake pads, Zipp Integrated Valve Extender with valve-core wrench, rim tape and quick release.
- Weight - 1030g
- Hub Used - 177
- Rim Depth - 82mm
- Brake Track Width (center) - 24.73mm
- Max Width - 27.5mm
- Spokes - Sapim® CX-Sprint
- Spoke Count - 24
- Spoke Length Non-Drive - 236mm
- Spoke Pattern Non-Drive - 2 cross
- Spoke Pattern Drive - 2 cross
- Spoke Length Drive - 236mm
- Max Tire Pressure - 125psi
- Max Tire Pressure - 8.62bars
- 11-speed compatible hub - Yes
- Track Adaptable - No
- Dimpled Surface - Yes
- Nipples - Sapim® Secure Lock
- External Nipples - Yes
- Max recommended rider weight - 250lbs