ALL KINDS OF FAST
To achieve maximum performance with every Zipp wheelset, Zipp’s engineers create uniquely tuned rim profiles for every combination of rim depth and tire style. So the process of developing the Zipp 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher Bicycle Wheel was much more complex than merely adding clincher sidewalls to the 808 Tubular or increasing the depth of the 404 Firecrest Carbon Clincher.
Optimizing the revolutionary Firecrest aero-rim concept for an 82 mm depth and the distinct airflow pattern of clincher tires required Zipp to evaluate a slew of minutely varied prototypes through CFD, or computational fluid dynamics, software and in the wind tunnel. At 27.5 mm wide, the final version is the fastest deep-section carbon clincher in the world. Yet, with a weight of only 1,730 g/wheelset, it more than holds its own on the climbs. New for the 2013 model year, this Zipp 8080 Firecrest Carbon Clincher Rear Bicycle Wheel comes in stealthy Beyond Black decals and features black anodized hubs, black spokes and black nipples. The Zip 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher Rear Bicycle Wheel also has the 188 hub, updated last year with a 7.5 mm-wider rear bearing stance, and a 2-degree cant on the non-driveside flange for increased stiffness and reliability.
With Firecrest’s unparalleled approach to the wheel’s center of pressure, the 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher also handles crosswinds with the stability you’d normally associate with a much shallower rim – making the 808 Carbon Clincher ideal for non-disc-legal courses like Kona. Plus, the wide rim shape provides efficient power transfer along with comfort and durability, making it an excellent choice for just about any terrain and riding style.
In addition to Firecrest, all Zipp full-Carbon Clinchers feature an exclusive heat-resistant resin as part of the composite structure. Utilized in the 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher, this technology prevents spikes in rim temperature and tire pressure that can impact performance and handling. In fact, heat dissipation is improved so substantially that ours are the only carbon clinchers to pass stringent European safety testing without limitations on rider weight or brake-pad options. So every rider can tackle even the longest, most technical descents with confidence.
For triathletes and road racers seeking superior aero performance, stable handling, and the convenience of clinchers, there’s no faster all-around wheelset than the Zipp 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher.
- Recommended and approved brake pads. These brake pads have been tested and approved by Zipp for use with their tubular and all carbon clinchers. Failure to comply with these recommendations could negate your warranty.
- Tangente Platinum Pro
- Zipp Tangente cork pads
- Bontrager cork pads
- Zipp carbon/carbon pads
- SwissStop yellow pads
- Firecrest - With the new Firecrest rim shape in Zipp’s 404 and 808 Tubulars and Carbon Clinchers, Zipp wheels make a bigger difference in more ways than ever. Not only is Firecrest more aerodynamic than any other rim design, it improves handling in crosswinds, wheel strength, and overall ride quality.
- ABLC™ (Aerodynamic Boundary Layer Control) - Advanced Boundary Layer Control (ABLC) refers to the patented and instantly recognizable dimpled pattern found on most Zipp rims. ABLC smoothes airflow across the rim's surface and is tailored to every model from the 202 to the Sub9 disc. 2009 sees the third-generation of ABLC, with up to 4 times more dimples than before.
- VCLC™ (Visco-Elastic Constrained Layer Control) - Visco-Elastic Constrained Layer Control (VCLC) uses a vibration-absorbing material sandwiched between layers of rigid carbon laminate in the rim. When the wheel receives an impact from the road, much of the shock is absorbed by the VCLC system, delivering a 10% reduction in vibration.
- Hub Used – 188
- Rim Depth – 81mm
- Brake Track Width (center) – 24.73mm
- Max Width - 27.5mm
- Clincher Bead Width - 16.25mm
- Spoke Count – 20
- Spoke Pattern Non-Drive – Cross
- Spoke Length Non-Drive - 224mm
- Spoke Pattern Drive – Radial
- Spoke Length Drive - 210mm
- Max Tire Pressure - 125psi
- Max Tire Pressure - 8.62bars
- 11-speed compatible hub – Yes
- Track Adaptable – No
- Dimpled Surface – Yes
- Ceramic Bearing – Aftermarket
- External Nipples – Yes
- Weight - 920g
Note: Zipp wheels for model year 2013 are compatible with cassettes of up to 11-speed to work with all modern drivetrains.