Ardennes…if you think classic Belgian racing when you hear these words then Hed named the Hed Ardennes CL Clincher Bicycle Wheelset right. For Hed, these wheels evoke cobbles, the hard men of the spring classics, hard training, and serious racing. After 15 years of work staying on top of the aero wheel world, Hed turned their attention to traditional wheels. It seemed like a strange direction to go, but Hed was tired of looking at alloy wheels and thinking "these could be SO much better". They are.
But what makes 23mm better than the ubiquitous 19mm rim? Width. Picture a standard 23mm tire on the C2 rim. Tire and rim width are the same, the sidewalls are fairly straight, and the width of the rim spreads the tread contact patch out. With straighter sidewalls, and more rubber on the road, cornering is an entirely new experience. The sidewalls don't flop over in a hard corner, and more rubber on the road is, well... better. C2s should be run with lower pressure, since there is more air volume in the wider tire profile. The same tire on a 19mm rim looks more like the profile of a light bulb. The curved sidewalls flop over under hard cornering, there is less rubber on the road, and more air pressure is needed to prevent pinch flats.
Sharing all the same advantages as the Ardennes FR, the Ardennes CL (Classic) is a more suitable for ultimate longevity, larger riders, and/or Cyclocross. With its classic look and ride, the CL is a favorite everyday wheel for the professionals Hed works with.
- CycleOps PowerTap G3C: Introducing the new PowerTap G3C; The lightest power meter in the world
- World's lightest power meter
- Ceramic bearings by Ceramic Speed
- Hub weighs a mere 315 grams
- Wider flanges for a stiffer overall wheel
- Smaller overall hub profile
- New field-serviceable electronics
- ANT+ compatible for use with CycleOps Joule or your favorite computer
- C2 Alloy rims
- 24 front and 28 rear Black bladed spoke
- Two cross spoke pattern
- Sonic flanged Hubs
- Skewer and Rim Tape included
- Rider weight limit 225lbs
- Weights (g): Front: 732 - Rear: 910